If you can’t resist the Christmas pudding, have just a small serving. An average 100g portion contains a massive 330 calories and 11.8g fat. Choose your pudding partner carefully. Surprisingly, custard contains more calories per typical serving than cream or brandy butter, even if you make it with skimmed milk!
Instead of brandy butter, serve with low fat crème fraiche with a sprinkle of sugar and a dash of brandy.
75g self-raising flour
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp mixed spice
50g dark Muscovado sugar
Grated rind of ½ lemon
Grated rind of ½ orange
115g apples, peeled and grated
115g carrots, peeled and grated
2 medium eggs
60ml skimmed milk
2 tbsp molasses
60ml brandy, optional (or orange juice)
- First of all soak the dried fruit along with the cranberries in the 50ml brandy or orange juice overnight.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, cinnamon, mixed spice, sugar and bread-crumbs.
- Next, mix in the soaked fruit and brandy (or orange juice) mixture along with the grated orange and lemon zest, grated apple and carrot.
- Now beat the eggs with the milk and molasses and slowly add to the mixture. Mix gently but thoroughly.
- Place in a greased 1.2 litre oven proof pudding bowl. If you wish to microwave the pudding, place an upturned plate over the dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes, then microwave for a further 5 minutes.